ANSI A92.22 & CSA B354.7
This standard governs the safe use of MEWPs by specifying proper application, inspection, training, maintenance, repair and safe operation. One of the main requirements is developing a safe use program to guide MEWP use as it relates to job site safety.
To develop an effective safe use program that complies with new requirements, it’s important to perform a site risk assessment before starting a job. This assessment should:
- Define the task, location and timing of the work
- Inform MEWP selection
- Evaluate MEWP-related, job-specific and additional risks
- Identify controls like proper training and rescue planning
Step 2: Once a safety plan has been developed, it should be shared with everyone who will be on site during the work. The updated standards outline new requirements for many roles as they relate to a safe use program.
- Operator: Is trained and authorized to operate the MEWP
- Occupant: Has knowledge of MEWP use and safety, including fall protection systems
- Supervisor: Monitors use of MEWP to ensure safety plan is followed
- Technician: Performs MEWP maintenance in line with manufacturer’s requirements